Tuesday, January 15, 2008

From Jon Copsey

So I guess I’m the new intern. Lowest rung on the ladder and free-for-all punching bag. What a charmed life I live!

I found out about the station almost by accident, with my first thought being “Sandy Springs has a radio station?” Thankfully not only does Sandy Springs have a radio station, it has a great one with great staff.

My first day was last Saturday, January 12. Part interview and part immediate training. Walking in (a few minutes late – not a good first impression), I met with David and was rushed into the studio where he gave me a silent run-through of all the bells and whistles of production while the Temple of Health program aired.

After the Temple of Health finished David and I chatted as men do about life and the world and my eventual aspirations with the station. I have no aspirations, really, and I told him so – I am looking for a career in something so I figure I have to try as many things as I can to find just what I want.

This is getting confusing. Perhaps I should say a little about myself.

I moved to Roswell a little over a year ago. I am 25 and have more education than experience, which has led partly to my current employment quandary. I joined up with the Roswell Beacon newspaper (which was later also the Alpharetta and Milton Beacons) roughly around April and am still there, working the crazy workweek of an ace reporter. Just this last week my ‘beat’ was moved from covering Roswell (a city of over 100,000) to covering Milton (a city of about…. 5). So maybe I’ll have some free time to dedicate more than one day a week to everyone’s favorite radio station?

Anyway, David turned control of the duties to me for a good part of the Sports Off Center show at the end of the day. Dom and Bill are great guys who made the two hours zip by without any problems. That we noticed. Should there have been any production-side problems with the show, I think it’s safe to blame Bill.

Along with the production/ engineering side of things, David and I agreed it would be a shame not to capitalize on my kung-fu grip of the English language. So now I’m also doing a blog (as you may have noticed).

We’ll see how long this will last before I’m given the boot. Until then, happy listening!

1 comment:

quikstakes said...

Speaking for myself since Jon is going to be here on Saturdays and letting me have some much needed time off - THANKS!

If you know of anyone interested in learning about the radio business and producing, running the board etc. have them get in touch with Dan or myself.

David